EndNote X8 Installation Guide
Install EndNote on your computer
The Endnote program is designed to be used on one computer. You should only install it on one system. Do not install it on a public machine. If you use more than one computer, install EndNote on the computer you do most of your research and writing on and use EndNote Web when you are not on that computer. If you are using other computers you can use EndNote Web and sync the records between them.
Follow the directions below and contact the Reference Desk (x8317) if there are questions or problems.
- Login to Bellarmine Sharepoint (with your BU id and password
- You will then be taken to your Bellarmine University account where you will login again
- You will see a file called EndNote8PC.zip
- Click on Endnote for Windows
- Save the EndNote file to your desktop or download folder
A zip file (EndNote8PC.zip) containing two files (ENX8Inst.msi & License.dat) will be downloaded. Do NOT double click on the downloaded file.
- Locate the folder containing the zip file, DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK the zip file, instead, right click on it and click on Extract All.
- This will create an EndNote8PC folder with the two files needed for installation.
- Open the EndNote8PC folder and make sure both files are located there.
- Double click on the installer (the ENX8Inst.msi file).
- Follow the installation steps to install EndNote on your system.
Starting the Endnote Program
EndNote does not place a shortcut on the desktop or in the start menu or taskbar. To start the program go to the Start Menu (Windows Icon) in the lower left hand corner. Click on All Programs, scroll down to the Endnote folder and click on the Endnote Program.
If you right click on the Endnote Program you have options to send a shortcut to the desktop or pin it to the start menu or taskbar.
EndNote X8 Configuration Guide
Full Text Configuration - This will assist in allowing EndNote to locate full-text articles to accompany your citations.
- On the Menu Bar go to Edit/Preferences & select Find Full Text
- Leave ISI Web of Knowledge Full Text Links checked
- Make sure DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and PubMed LinkOut are both checked.
- Check OpenURL
- In the the OpenURL Path box add: http://ck8zf4yc8t.search.serialssolutions.com/
- Under Authenticate with: in the URL: box add: http://libproxy.bellarmine.edu/login
- Use this preference to set a consistent file naming convention for all imported PDF files.
Create an EndNote Web account
- This allows you to sync your data betwen desktop and web versions.
The first time you run EndNote you should create an EndNote Web account. In EndNote, on the Menu Bar, go to Edit/Preferences & select Sync. Click the Enable Sync button. You will then need to click the Sign Up button to create your EndNote Web account.
The program will ask for your email address and a password (that password must contain at least one numeral and one special character). Follow the steps to set up your EndNote Web account.
Check Below to see if still necessary...
Plugins - The Cite While You Write and Internet Explorer toolbar plug-ins allow you to use EndNoteWeb in conjunction with Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer.
- Go to EndNote Web at https://www.myendnoteweb.com/EndNoteWeb.html
- Login to your EndNote Web account
- At the bottom of the screen, click on Download Installers
- Click on Download Windows with Internet Explorer Plug-in
- Click on Save File and save to your desktop
- Run the EndNoteWeb.exe file after it downloads to install the IE & Word plugins.
Capture Reference Bookmarklet - this bookmarklet will allow you to export references found on the web to Endnote.
- Drag the Capture Reference button to your bookmarks bar.